How to make a $20 Android Security Camera
Android Security Camera
My very first android smartphone was the Huawei Ideos U8150 and I loved it. But, since I became a fan of the Nexus series, that old little device has been sitting somewhere in my closet getting dust. Fortunately, I was able to find it underneath some old book and was very happy to see that it was still running. I decided to do something with it to make it useful and not just waste it. I put it on eBayÂ butÂ no one was willing to even pay $20 bucks for it. Then, a wonderful idea came to me. For a long time, I was looking for some security cameras for my house but they were pretty expensive; starting from about $90. So the idea was to use that old phone as an android security camera that can connect to my home WiFi connection for live stream and recording.Â So, grab one of your old android smartphones because I am going to show you how you can give a new life to it.Â Or, if you are planning on buying a security camera for your house, don’t spend hundreds of dollar for it. Just buy a cheap used android device (eBay is a good place to get these for under 25 bucks) that is running version 2.2+ andÂ make your own.
Things you will need:
- Any Android Smartphone (Android version 2.2 and up)
- Your phoneâ€™s charger (The Security camera function running onto your device would take a lot battery power, so your charger will be connected to your phone at all times. It will work without the charger for about 1 – 2 hours depending on the battery).
- An app called IP Webcam (Download it for FREE here)
- A WiFi Network (for live streaming)
Steps to Configure the Cam:
- Download and install the app IP Webcam from the Google Play Store.
- Launch IP Webcam from your phone and set up your video preferences. If you want to stream high quality video feeds then set the resolution higher (If you have a slow internet connect, choose a lower resolution).
3. Â Scroll down and find Start Server, you will see on your screen that the camera has been started.
4. Â Place your phone in the spot you want to monitor.
5. Â To stream videos to your computer or laptop, touch â€śHow do I connect?â€ť button on the top-left corner of your phoneâ€™s screen. You will be given an IP address that you can use to stream videos on your computer.
How to see live video on your computer:
1) Open your browser and type the provided IP address in the search bar.
2. Â You can view your camera in several ways, but I usually use the “browser built-inÂ viewer” feature.Â So, click on it (If for some reason you couldn’t see your live camera video, try refreshing the page or try switching toÂ “Full screenÂ View”).
3. Â You can control the camera from your computerÂ by clicking on “OpenÂ Camera Controls”. This way you can even take pictures.
4. Â You can turn on the audio by clicking on “Click here to play the audio with browser” (Note, this might not work on some browsers; Tested browsers are Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox)
5. Â There is also an option to record your live camera video.
And, that’s how you make an android security camera
Well, thatâ€™s how you can make your own cheap android security camera that works just as fine as any other security cam. Of course, the quality of the video depends on the type of camera your phone has and the internet connection. I have some other great ideas and apps that I am planning on sharing soon. Thank You!